(NYC) should i hire my own plumber to pressure test my gas line?

Users who are viewing this thread

wang168

Reaction score
hi,
I'm in a pre war apartment building, the old meter has been removed about 20 years ago, but the gas line is still there and connected to a stove that haven't been used. should i call in my own plumber to pressure test the gas line first? National Grid said they'll test the line themselves before installing the gas meter(free of charge). what happens if National Grid test, and fails the gas line?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Your saying your apartment has a stove in it that hasn't been used in 20 years?
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to start using Gas again? What does the building owner or manager say?

wang168

Reaction score
Your saying your apartment has a stove in it that hasn't been used in 20 years?
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to start using Gas again? What does the building owner or manager say?
we just brought the apartment, we want to use the gas again, and have a new stove installed. management didn't mention anything. but the Realtor suggested that i get a plumber in to inspect the line. basically i want to make sure the pipe is good before the gas company does their own test.

Reach4

Reaction score
what happens if National Grid test, and fails the gas line?
I presume they will either not leave a meter, or they will lock the gas line off until you get the leak fixed. What did you fear would happen?

The gas company guy is going to know more about this than your real estate agent.

On the other hand, the gas company is not going to install the stove. What is there now-- a shutoff valve at the end of the pipe where the flex line from the new stove will be attached? Make sure that valve is closed. Maybe post a picture of that valve area.

wang168

Reaction score
I presume they will either not leave a meter, or they will lock the gas line off until you get the leak fixed. What did you fear would happen?

The gas company guy is going to know more about this than your real estate agent.

On the other hand, the gas company is not going to install the stove. What is there now-- a shutoff valve at the end of the pipe where the flex line from the new stove will be attached? Make sure that valve is closed. Maybe post a picture of that valve area.
my fear is for a leak, if they find a leak I'm not sure if they would require me to file a permit with the city to fix a leak or bad connection. That's why i was thinking about hiring my own licensed plumber first to test the line and have them fix any problems if there is any.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If your hiring a professional plumber they will need a permit "if the work requires one". Are you assuming that "your Plumber" won't file for a permit if it's required? Have the Gas company come out and test and install the meter (it costs you nothing extra) then deal with a leak - if you actually have a leak. Why pay your plumber to tell you everything is okay?

wang168

Reaction score
If your hiring a professional plumber they will need a permit "if the work requires one". Are you assuming that "your Plumber" won't file for a permit if it's required? Have the Gas company come out and test and install the meter (it costs you nothing extra) then deal with a leak - if you actually have a leak. Why pay your plumber to tell you everything is okay?
What are the chances of a leak in a gas pipe that haven't been used in 20 years?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Any utility past the right of way is the home owners responsability , the gas company will check the main coming into the house.
And for the gas lines inside the house please have them checked by a pro,

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Why was the original gas connection disconnected in the first place? Maybe that is impossible to find out. There might have been a gas furnace at one time with problems and the gas was turned off to the building. Maybe there was a leak at one time and the gas order could not have been found and the owner at the time did not want to have the entire building re-piped.

First off with a gas stove and oven, you need an outside exhaust vent over stove. If the windows were ever replaced in the past they'll be more airtight and the original pully and weight system. An oven on for hours cooking the turkey could use up most of the oxygen in the home without any air ventilation. I know those old buildings can be drafty and you may be OK since way back then the homes has little or no insulation when built.

If you have a prudent gas company they may not connect a meter unless there has been an inspection. If they turn on the gas a small leak may not be detected but a few days later and a room or wall filled with gas, boom. Then which party is liable? You'll be first in line, second to the gas company. Who has more money to pay for third degree burns?

Get it done right and don't mess with Gas or Electric.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The gas company will NOT turn on the meter UNTIL "someone" tests the system and then calls the city to verify the test. Then the city will notify the gas company to turn on the meter. Your own plumber will NOT be able to bypass the routing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks