Number of lights allowed on a circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

nashkato

Reaction score
I'd like to add undercabinet lighting to an existing 15-amp circuit powering the lights in my kitchen. We plan to install two 2-bulb xenons and two 3-bulb xenons undercabinet lights controlled by one switch. Does this count as 1 or 4 lights toward the limit?

The circuit currently powers 2 kitchen fixtures, 1 breakfast nook fixture, 2 attic bulb fixtures and 2 garage bulb fixtures. I run compact fluorescents so the load is low and they're seldom powered all at once, but I'm just not sure if the undercabinet is too much for the circuit. Thanks.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Unless you have a local code amendment that actually gives fixtures a value then they don't count for anything. They are already taken into account in the general demand calculation.

What you have will NOT overload that circuit. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bulbs

The total wattage of the bulbs would be the important thing, not how many there are, and even then if they were low voltage you would have to convert it to the line voltage to get their effect on the circuit's load.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The total wattage of the bulbs and the total wattage of what ever else is on that circuit, totaled up...will give you your answer...Speedy Petey is probably right...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks