Nuclear plants in Japan risk meltdown

Discussion in 'Ian's Corner' started by Ian Gills, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I'm getting a little bit worried about this.

It seems the TPRs risk kicking in, releasing vapor, and the pressure is rising from inadequate coolant being pumped (because there is no power).

Now I wouldn't buy a Japanese toilet (I own a Cadet 3) and I figure their nuclear reactors might not be much better. Why couldn't they have gone with installing the Bradfords instead, like we keep telling people?

But, seriously, I hope they get this one under control else all of you West of the Rockies had best come stay with me!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oops... Too late the water heater blew...

[video=youtube;kISMs3Zbgak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kISMs3Zbgak[/video]
  3. Ian Gills

4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Good... I'm glad to hear you brits are on the way....

We are already there waiting on you....

That's 2 floating nuclear power plants...
    One there and one on the way...

Plus a bunch of aircraft and medical facilities on board...
  5. Ian Gills

They don't need an aircraft carrier or even two right now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Well they don't need yours anyway judging by how long it took them to get to the Falkland Islands...

We'll be waiting for your Fifty-nine search and rescue experts, four medics and two sniffer dogs.
  7. Ian Gills

Well, your contribution to-date was coolant they did not need.

[​IMG]

They need search and rescue. Not military.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

9. Ian Gills

Thanks for the lesson Redwood.

But like I said, they don't need carriers right now.

Just what are your boys doing on those boats right now?
  10. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

An aircraft carrier has surplus electrical capacity to power a small city. They have on board enough food to feed a hundred thousand people for a few days.....and the capability to deliver it where needed ASAP!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  11. stupid threads like this one is why I have not wasted my time here any more..

jokeing about this disaster and which country is doing
    the most for the survivors is simply crude and stupid..

their will probably be well over 100k killed ..

and maybe if one or two of those nukes melt down we can have a
    jolly good time argueing over which nation makes the best body bags

got to move on http://batterybackuppumps.com/
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Like I said Ian "Reading Is Fundamental"
    If you had read what I posted you would have seen what our carriers had already accomplished....
    I put it in bold to aid your lagging comprehension....

Please get someone to read it to you...
  13. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

It is a good point. The "Brilliant" Japanese that make those cars that most ignorant Americans bow down to like a golden goddess have built nuclear plants right on the fault line.

AND they forgot to think about a little wave knocking out the auxiliary power.

AND they forgot to simply put the aux power on the roof of the building.

AND they forgot to build a huge GRAVITY feed cooling tank for ultimate back-up.

Guess they were too busy making cars and toilets to export for PROFIT instead of upgrading their nuclear.

Wanna know where they should have gotten their nuclear plants? They should have bought 50 of the American aircraft carrier nuclear plants and mounted them on some surplus toyota springs. Those little beauties can sway until they are almost upside down and jump around dodging floating Corolla's.

And Ian, our bad gas lines look pretty harmless next to these poorly designed plants.

Finally, whatever help we give needs to be repaid on a time and material basis. From auto export profits.

This is NOT Haiti!

But it looks like Japanese/Haitian plumbers designed the plants coolant system......

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?34301-Plumbing-in-Japan-is-bizzare-if-not-interesting!
  14. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You may find it interesting that us dumb Americans have also built atomic power plants in seismic active areas...
    Here in the US we have the San Onofre and Diablo Canyon Reactors with similar seismic exposure...

We have also had more than a few accidents...
    Even those navy owned reactors have had a few...
  15. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

From what I read, the scientists in Japan had under-estimated the size of the potential quake in this area. So now, we have to wonder if we have done the same vis-a-vis San Onofre. California, for geologic reasons, is not prone to local tidal waves...meaning even a big one is not likely to cause the kiind of wave seen in Japan. CA is exposed to waves from quakes in Japan, Alaska, etc.'

I do not lose sleep over the whole thing, because in the end, Darwin will make it all work out.
  16. Cookie

Cookie .

None are safe. My husband worked on one of the three back then in Taiwan, I think, after his death they added a fourth. They get some pretty fierce typhoons & earthquakes. He worked on Unit 1 & 2 in Shippingport and he had to quit because the rads he was getting was comparable to those my mom got getting rads for health reasons. I would shut off the lights to see who glowed more. I still wouldn't live near Three Mile Island for no money in this world. Depending on how the wind blows I would reckon, everyone is going to glow alittle from Japan's meltdown. And, it is going to be around a long, long time; and, cause alot of stomach problems.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  17. ballvalve

And remember this is not a pot stirrer!.... And from his cousin:

Diablo is not in the ring of fire, and its not in a position for backup power to be flooded [DUH! in japanese] And Diablo was stopped for 3 years for the most intensive seismic upgrades ever made.

If you can make a power plant that operates on a ship in a typhoon, you can make the same model for use on land

And if anyone had a brain 40 years ago, and I believe a few did, all the plants would operate in FAIL SAFE mode with passive cooling, irregardless of a power supply or a drunken operator.

But then the pump makers would'nt have made much money on the plants construction.

Funny how every city in America has a water tower up 100 feet in the air with a few hundred thousand gallons of water in it for relatively non-safety related issues. But the Japanese couldnt afford to put a few next to each reactor?

HEY! Just in from Japanese news central: "We discova Dodge floor mat got stuck under the nuclear accelerator pedal!!" And "we no design-a the hokey pokey electronics! .... Amelican General Electric designer told us put genalator on beach!!! So we had to put old fuel lods ona roof, shaking building apart in earthquake - plobably cause by Amelican drill rigs in Alaska. "

And all horseplay aside, no humans should face this three punch knockout they have suffered. If these plants melt down, japan will lose about half of its real estate. At least we have places to move people to.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  18. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

19. ballvalve

Take the pumps OUT and have a go at the game ! The reactor always wins.

Think of todays nuclear power as every house on pumped sewage and septic.

Gravity rules. Like a Tsunami.
  20. Cookie

Cookie .

I feel bad for those people in Japan. So many are missing. I read an article where a woman was looking for her missing husband and it made me think so much of my life. So many people told me to just get over my husband's loss, to move on, like I could just go out and replace him. I was infact, treated badly. So many people just want to ignore you when something bad happens, and they want you to ignore it, too. But you can't. I feel bad for these people's suffering and I hope others will treat them much more kindly than I have been with my loss in life. They will suffer with PTSD, just like I do.