NTI Trinity-TX

Users who are viewing this thread

DR-DEATH

Reaction score
I just received a quote that I am strongly looking at.

Here is the following quote:

Option # 1

Disconnect existing water heater and remove from
job site. Furnish and install new Bradford white 40
gal nat gas power vented water heater. A new
Tempering valve and thermal expansion tank will
be installed. Existing electrical circuit will have
outlet installed.
Option#1 job total---------------------------------$1995.00

Option#2
Furnish and install new Rinnai RUR98I Ultra series
condensing water heater fully installed. Old water
heater will be removed from job site. system has
$800.00 gas co rebate.
Option # 2 job total--------------------------------$3500.00

Option #3
Furnish and install new N.T.I. Trinity nat gas boiler and
on demand water heater in one. Price includes all new
piping, fittings, valves and wiring for three zone system.
Old boiler and water heater will be removed from job
site. system has $1000.00 gas co. rebate.

Option#3
Job total----------------------------------$6000.00
link on boiler/ on demand water heater:
<http://www.ntiboilers.com/products/trinity-tx.html>

I definitely need a new hot water heater and with gas company rebates going on demand makes more sense as the price for a power vented model (have to have due to no chimney) are outrageous.

I don't technically need a new boiler, but was toying with the idea if the price was right. (boiler still has 5-10 years left of life and I don't plan on living here that long.)

The only concern I have is I haven't seen much on NTI boilers and didn't find much by searching on here. Does anyone like them or are they junk? 5k after rebates to do a whole combined system when I already have to spend 2k or more on just hot water seems tempting.

Thanks for any help

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
We have been using NTI products for some time. If the application and sizing are correct and the installer reads, understands and follows the installation instructions, it's all good.

The key being If the application and sizing are correct... .

The problem is that the heat loads in most houses would call for the smallest of the NTI Trinity TX boilers, the TX51, but the smallest combi version is the TX 151C, which has a min-fire input of about 18,900 BTU/hr.

That's roughly half the heat load at my house at the 99% outside design temp, which means most of the heating season it would be cycling on/off rather than modulating. A modulating condensing boiler that's too big to modulate , or too big to run at condensing temperatures without short-cycling on undersized radiation isn't worth much.

To get a handle on whether it's going to work in YOUR house you need to know how much radiation (per zone, if broken into zones) you have, and your actual heat load at the 99% outside design temp. If you have a heating history on the place, run the napkin math on the fuel use as outlined in this bit o' bloggery to bracket the heat load, then measure up your radiation. Most houses are a lousy fit for combi boilers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks