NPT thread length to tighten

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I need to get some 3/4 pipe cut and threaded. On average, how much threads in to the coupling?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There should be 7 perfect threads and 3 to 4 imperfect threads. tighten 3 turns by hand and 3 by wrench.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Sorry .... I should have been more specific ...

From fitting to fitting let's say I need 18" ... how long should the pipe be? In other words, how much (in length) threads in?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry .... I should have been more specific ...

From fitting to fitting let's say I need 18" ... how long should the pipe be? In other words, how much (in length) threads in?

measure from center to center then deduct 3/4 inch per fitting (11/2 inches total).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
3/4 per fitting is probably closer to accurate. But you have to remember that this is never an exact science. Threads vary, depending on who cut it , how the dies were set on the machine, etc. Factory threads on a piece of pipe will often be different that field cut threads. Adding up a fitting on each end of a pipe, there could easily be 2 to 4 turns total difference in "tight". The experience gained over time ( we call it wisdom, others call it learning from your mistakes!) helps to make these things work out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
engagement

The setting of the die, the way the fitting was tapped, the size of the pipe wrench, and YOUR build will all conspire to determine the answer to your question. It is NOT an exact science so you have to use some discretion in your measurements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks