NPS (Straight Thread) Fitting OK for Hidden Connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

PhilUpNorth

Engineer
Reaction score
Simple question; I just got a floor-mounted faucet kit for a new bath, and was surprised to see that the end pieces to which the water supply tubes/pipes/hoses will be connected are 1/2" male NPS (straight) thread. The problem I've got is that these connections will be under a finished floor, not visible (unless you go look for them) and somewhat difficult to access, and that in my mind this thread type always end up leaking (like on my washing machine or garden hoses) because it relies on a gasket that will degrade with time. Anybody have any thought on that? Thanks for any help. Phil.

Reaction score
It should not leak if it is undisturbed.

Washing machine hookups use rubber washers and they can be left for over a decade.

Garden hose washers don't last as long mostly because there's usually a lot of tugging on the hose and that does put some stress and rotation on the washer, not to mention daily climate change as it can get to 40°F during summer nights in Canada.

Thread or dope does nothing for NPS threads because the washer is what does the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks