Not sure where to put this question - how tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

tom-rad

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this would go with my washing machine valve question or not....but......
Installing the new valve, 1/2", NPT, used both Teflon tape and Oatey Great White. I hand tightened it, but thought I went too far. Didn't need a wrench. Going to clean it up and try again. My question is, ok to hand tighten a hose bib? I can crank it on by hand pretty tight with the Teflon lubricant. Should I put it where I think it's good, check for leaks, and then turn another revolution? Thanks. I am terrible with this stuff. Can't tell what tight enough really is.

tom-rad

Reaction score
Here's what I ended up doing.....turned the new hose bib by hand until I couldn't turn it any more, then about 1/4 turn more with wrench to put it in the right position. I can still see maybe one and a half or two threads, so it's not bottomed out. Used Teflon tape and pipe dope.
Only concern is cracking the brass, but this seems good so far. Sound like it's ok? Thanks.
BTW, I am not a plumber but I'd be glad to help if anyone has a radio question, lol! I can deal with electronics MUCH better than water pipes. Certainly appreciate the work you guys do, there's so much more to it than what one would expect. Thanks again for the advice.

Flapper

Reaction score
Here's what I ended up doing.....turned the new hose bib by hand until I couldn't turn it any more, then about 1/4 turn more with wrench to put it in the right position. I can still see maybe one and a half or two threads, so it's not bottomed out. Used Teflon tape and pipe dope.
Only concern is cracking the brass, but this seems good so far. Sound like it's ok? Thanks.
BTW, I am not a plumber but I'd be glad to help if anyone has a radio question, lol! I can deal with electronics MUCH better than water pipes. Certainly appreciate the work you guys do, there's so much more to it than what one would expect. Thanks again for the advice.
If it's not leaking then there's no problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks