Not sure what to do here...

Users who are viewing this thread

jrmbadger

Reaction score
I tiled my bathroom (used to be lineoleum) and for some reason decided to figure out how to deal with the toilet AFTER it was done... not always the smart thing. Anyway, I tiled around the flange somewhat, leaving about 1/4" space around the flange.

I've heard that the bottom of the flange should be resting on the finished floor. Which would mean I'd have to raise the flange 3/4" - 1" .

All the drain pipes are PVC and this particular pipe (being on a first floor) is on a run by itself for about 10 feet until it hits the main waste pipe.

This pipe does have some "play" to it, in that I can pull the pipe up the required 1 inch. Is this safe?

Assuming it's ok to use this "play", then the big question becomes: What do I use to shim the flange the required 1". I tried putting plywood under it last night but when I tried to screw the flange in, the screw tore up the plywood some. Also I couldn't get a good fit on the plywood. Do they make something for this specifically? I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.
Justin

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that play in the pipe. The bolts in the flange are what keeps a toilet from rocking.

There are "waxless" wax rings from Oatey and Fluidmaster which can make up the 1" difference. But you may need to open the ceiling below that flange to secure it.

jrmbadger

Reaction score
Getting at the pipe is no problem as below it is an unfinished basement.

So are you saying that I shouldn't shim the flange to bring it up to the level of the floor, but instead bolt the flange to the floor and then use a waxless ring to make up the difference?

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Since you have access from below, fix it right. I would cut out the flange and the closet bend and put down a 3/4-1" plywood "donut" to anchor the flange to. And then install a new flange and closet bend.
Deb
The Pipewench

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Deb. While there are flange extension kits on the market and I have used them with success, I'd get down below and cut out the closet bend and old flange them repipe the way Deb describes. This is the best solution if access is available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks