Not so level tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jphelps, Jun 30, 2009.

1. jphelps

jphelps New Member

I recently installed a new Kohler cast iron tub and while checking it for level I found that it slopes slightly away from the drain. The slope is very slight, the tub drains correctly, and there is no movement of the tub in any direction. My question is, how important is it to have the tub absolutely level?
    Also, the tub flange does not touch all of the studs on the surrounding walls, is this an issue?

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sort of depends on which way it slopes and if it is going to be used as a shower as well. You don't want water sitting in a corner or drain out of the tub onto the floor. How far out is it?
  3. jphelps

jphelps New Member

It's not too far off level, maybe slightly over an 1/8", but unfortunately it slopes away from the drain. It is level in the direction from the skirt side to the wall. I half filled the tub and all of the water drains out.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Normally when I set a tub, I put a level on the floor first.
    Find out the high point, and set the stringer on the back wall based on that with a level.
    If the apron needs shimming, then shim it to level.

Most homes that have been around a while, have shifted or sagged some.
    When you go to tile the walls, an out of level tub will rear it's ugly head.
  5. jphelps

jphelps New Member

Thanks for the info. I hadn't even thought about how the un-level tub would affect the tiling! Thanks again!