Not in love with my new Toto Promenade

Users who are viewing this thread

single_digit

Reaction score
So I splurged and got a new CEFIONTECT Promenade. I just installed it and there seem to be a couple of issues.
1. The flapper doesn't want to wait to come down. When I flush I have to hold the handle up through the entire flush or the flapper immediately reseals. Is this normal? Because I'm not likin' it. I don't see any kind of real flapper adjustments to be made.
2. The G-Flush seems to be leaking at the top. Around the blue cap that says G-Flush it seems to dribble and drip as it completes the fill cycle. It seems to stop when the filling quits, so it makes me wonder if it's normal.
So am I crazy or is this all normal?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ALL new low flush toilets only use a small portion of the tank. It is VERY quick. It should NOT stay up until the tank is empty. Moving from an older, high volume to a new low-flow one is disconcerting. Have you proven to yourself that it doesn't work, or just assumed it won't because it flushes so fast?

A little dribbling out of the top of the valve happens on some of them, not a big deal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water from the fill valve is part of the safety mechanism that's built in to prevent cross contamination.
It working fine.

The toilet is flushing with 1.6 gallons.
Did you want a 3.0 gallon toilet, if so, keep holding the handle down.

Most people let the flapper drop down and let it flush with 1.6 gallons.
It's ok, they've been doing it that way since 1992.

single_digit

Reaction score
So you are both saying that essentially this is a dual flush toilet? If I pull the lever all the way up the flapper immediately slaps back down leaving some volume of water in the tank. So what has left is the 1.6Gal? Jim, in older toilets as well as newer non-Toto toilets that I have used (and I accept that Totos may be different) there is a delay after flushing where the tank appears to be discharging for at least a couple of seconds before the flapper cuts off water flow. Is this just the nature of G-Flushes? I think everyone will assume our toilet isn't working properly (as I have). I have not "properly" tested it with a #2... but #1 seemed to work.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Toto design ensures that all the water the toilet needs for a flush does indeed get through the flapper with just a single push of the handle and in the blink of an eye...
Relax the toilet is working...
Give it a big one and test it....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since 1992, the last eighteen years, this is how all toilets, all brands, in all places work.

The tanks hold lots of water, but the flappers are designed to drop quicker then that, otherwise we would all have 3.0 gallon toilets instead of the federal law required 1.6 gallon.

If you keep holding the lever down, or up in this case, you can defeat the water saving method.

Reminds me of my young son.
I keep telling him that he can simply close the car door.
He doesn't really have to keep slamming it.
When we walk into stores, he loves slamming open the doors, the hinges just about popping off.
Dude, I tells him, gentle.

524962541_7b61cbde68_m.jpg

Last edited:

single_digit

Reaction score
I'll take your word for it, but I don't recall this when I've used other people's newer toilets (for example my friend has a Jacuzzi Perfecta) and I never noticed the flush being so "abrupt". But, yeah, I'll give it the real test next chance I have (I'm not home right now).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The G-max toilets use a 3" diameter flapper valve...this lets LOTS of water out, very fast. It doesn't have to stay up very long at all. Very few older toilets (nor that many new ones) use this size flapper. Most are still 2". That's 125% larger opening.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it, but I don't recall this when I've used other people's newer toilets (for example my friend has a Jacuzzi Perfecta) and I never noticed the flush being so "abrupt". But, yeah, I'll give it the real test next chance I have (I'm not home right now).

Wow thats like comparing the performance of a Ferrari and a Yugo...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks