Not all zones turning on all the way with Solenoids

Users who are viewing this thread

jfaaborg

Reaction score
I have 4 zones running with Toro inline valves. They don't always seem to turn on all the way with the Solenoids, but do with the manual bleeders. I suspect the timer is not putting out enough voltage to fully actuate the solenoid. What should the voltage be at the valve?

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
I hate those valves.

If it were my house, I would dig the things up and replace them as fast as possible. We call one system with these, the Ghost System because no matter what we do, the valves will never work correctly all the time. Some days they work just fine, then they will go for weeks with no luck. If you change the valve every thing will be fine.

One sprinkler guy trick, connect 3 - 9 volt batteries in series. You would do this by stacking 1 on top of the other two, Then use aligator clip leads to connect the left over + and - to the valve. This gives 27 volts to the solenoid and should act like the controller and open the valve. You can diagnose controller and wire problems with this 10 dollar setup.

jfaaborg

Reaction score
I hate those valves.

If it were my house, I would dig the things up and replace them as fast as possible. We call one system with these, the Ghost System because no matter what we do, the valves will never work correctly all the time. Some days they work just fine, then they will go for weeks with no luck. If you change the valve every thing will be fine.

One sprinkler guy trick, connect 3 - 9 volt batteries in series. You would do this by stacking 1 on top of the other two, Then use aligator clip leads to connect the left over + and - to the valve. This gives 27 volts to the solenoid and should act like the controller and open the valve. You can diagnose controller and wire problems with this 10 dollar setup.

ya, I am tempted to just replace them (Bought some Lawn Genie anti siphon valves from Home Depot the other day) I've had problems with the Toro in-lines sticking on after turning them on with the bleeder.

Thankx for your help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks