Nortiz tankless water heater - water not hot enough

Users who are viewing this thread

cindy g

Reaction score
I have a Nortiz tankless water heater (natural gas, 199, 900 BTU max 16,000 BTU min, up to 11.1 GPM) installed about 7 months ago. Everything was working well until about 3 wks ago when all water (showers and kitchen) are just medium luke warm. Temp was set at 125F so the plumber inc to 130F which helped but still not hot. Temp was then inc. to 140F but still didn't do much. Called Nortiz to trouble shoot and was told that the incoming water temp was 65F and outcoming is what was set at ie. 140F , the shower flow rate is 0.6g/min which is low. Tried to dec. temp to 120F but didn't help. They concluded that it's not the heater problem. One person suggested that I try decrease temp to 110F since the shower flow rate is very slow. What could this be?

Reach4

Reaction score
What was the basis of their claim that the water heater was not defective? Next time, I would record the conversation if it is not clear what they claim.

If it were a case that the water heater is not able to keep up with the heating needs, the fire would be on max. Is that the case?

If you run a hot water faucet while taking a shower, how does that affect things?

cindy g

Reaction score
What was the basis of their claim that the water heater was not defective? Next time, I would record the conversation if it is not clear what they claim.

If it were a case that the water heater is not able to keep up with the heating needs, the fire would be on max. Is that the case?

If you run a hot water faucet while taking a shower, how does that affect things?

Nortiz concluded that it's not a heater problem because they walked me through checking the in coming water temperature and the outgoing water temperature using the remote pad.

There wasn't a significant change in the shower temperature when the bath sink faucet was running at the same time.

We turned up the hot water valve to max in the shower faucet but didn't help with the water temperature either.

Reach4

Reaction score
So is the water coming out of the heater 140F? That will be very uncomfortable to hold your hand on. You can get a cheap IR thermometer that can measure the temperature of the pipe. You can wrap a temperature probe to the pipe with insulation. I guess re-reading your original post you say that they say that 140 is coming out. And I would agree that that would vindicate the water heater.

If it is 140F coming out, then you have a faulty mixing valve in your plumbing. That is a device that is put in on purpose to mix cold water with hot to cool the water to 120F. Your plumber is probably not allowed to remove it, but could replace it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You leave the sink running when you take a shower ?

I think you may be expecting to much of a temperature Rise. Turning down the flow rate may help for hotter water.

Did you try to clean the heater ?

Good Luck on your project.

Last edited:

cindy g

Reaction score
You leave the sink running when you take a shower ?

I think you may be expecting to much of a temperature Rise. Turning down the flow rate may help for hotter water.

Good Luck on your project.
No, I don't normally run the sink during shower. We were just testing it to see if the temperature in the shower inc. with the two running at the same time but it didn't really change the temperatue although at one point we did feel "hot" water but then went back to medium luke warm.

If it's a faulty mixing valve then how do you explain this happening to multiple showers and the kitchen?

Reach4

Reaction score
There is this thing commonly used today called a thermostatic mixing valve or tempering valves. http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbout/temperingValves.asp?catId= They are not cheap, so they are often installed at or near the water heater and used to reduce the hot water through the whole house.

Newer codes/laws mandated this be done for sinks, bathtubs and showers. It is not required for dishwashers or washing machines. But it is simpler and cheaper to put everything through one valve. They can even be provided with the water heater.

It would also be permitted to have one provide water to the kitchen sink and a different one to provide hot water to the bathrooms. This would have an advantage by having the temperature set closer to the use. But it takes more pipes and mixing valves.

Some of these are adjustable. Could somebody have adjusted yours inadvertently?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would measure the Temperature, just because you set it does not mean that is what it is.

You may have a Heating stage that is not working.

The heater may be telling you something, I would at least reset its controller. And change the battery if it has one.

It could be problems like Reach4 was saying.

If all else fails, Read the Manual. What is your Model Number ?

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks