Northstar water softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by MiddleAgeSoftie, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I disagree that they are comparable IF you are looking at the ease of programming and repair by a DIYer but in this case especially where there is a cabinet model softener that is limited to a 10" x probably a 35" resin tank. There is no sense to go with a 1.25" control valve.

Actually most distributors sell the Clack at a higher price than Fleck valves, possibly due to Clack's distributor contract where the valve is not allowed to be sold separately unless it is replacing another brand of valve; as in this case. I suspect Clack charges more for their valves than Fleck does.

There is no sense in a 1.25" control valve on a cabinet model softener.

The tools needed to work on a 7000 are more than pliers and a screwdriver, I know there is a nut that must be turned to just the right position and IIRC (if I recall correctly) the manual calls for a socket. That is so the plastic nut is not chewed up and the piston can be 'indexed' just right or you can't get things apart. Maybe you don't know that Bob because you've never sold a 7000 or worked on one. And when you get it right and apart, you must re-index or you can't get it back together until you do. There's no such thing on any Clack valve.

To break the thumb tabs on a Clack you'll have to try really hard but, to get the circuit board off a Clack you can either take the board off or the board and the bracket it is installed on off as one piece instead of the board and then the bracket separately.
  2. MiddleAgeSoftie

MiddleAgeSoftie Computer systems technologist for Geologists & Pet

The red tag on the bottom of the valve body is a serial number. There is also a white tag beside the red tag. It says Injector #1 (the #1 is hand written) and Drain flow 2.5 GPM (Again the 2.5 is hand written).

I've tried to measure the tank and it does appear to be 10# X 35". The circumference is 32". If my math is right that works out to 10" diameter. Eyeballing from the floor with a tape measure looks like 35".

There is a serial number on the top of the cabinet (which likely won't mean much) which is NAC30MI. There is also another label (with no identifier saying what it is) which simply says "12 G".
  3. MiddleAgeSoftie

One more detail which, from my reading seems to be important is that the inside pipe diameter going into and out of the valve is 3/4"
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

The older ones like that most of the time did have the 3/4" distribitor tube, the one going from the valve down to the bottom of the medis tank.

So far the number is not turning up ,, must be out side of the web records that I can get...

10X35 tank means that 95% chance that is a 1.0 cubic foot unit.

The injector is a 1 or white in color, the 2.5gpm is the backwash flow rate.

No idea like you on the 12g..... there was a reason for it going there, but it is now lost to time as to why....
  5. MiddleAgeSoftie

The pipe diameter I was referring to is the copper water pipes going from the house into the softener and from the softener back into the house rather than the distributor pipe going from the valve to the bottom of the tank (although that may also be 3/4").
  6. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Looks like I was on the wrong page... my bad...

But yes looking at the photos and the brass yoke that is in use looks more like 3/4" which would mean that the copper feed and return line or untreated and treated water is 3/4"....