Northstar - no soft water, replaced seals and rotor, about ready to give up

Users who are viewing this thread

earlrabbit

Reaction score
My 13 year old Northstar water softener just isn't generating any soft water. I've cleaned the venturi and replaced the gasket in it. I've also replaced the seals and rotor in the valve. The system is cycling so I know the electronics are good. Any ideas?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you get a brine draw? Did you replace the figure 8 o ring? Does the water flow to the drain slow down once it hits the brine draw cycle?

earlrabbit

Reaction score
I do get a brine draw (as I disconnect the tube from the venturi I feel suction). The figure 8 seal was replaced along with all the other seals and I made sure it was positioned correctly. Not sure about the water flow slowing down when it hits the brine draw cycle - I'll have to check that.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are getting a brine draw enough to remove the the brine, the resin may be bad and 13 years sounds like it would be. Are you getting a lack of water pressure sometimes?

Servallwater

Reporter
Reaction score
Website
www.serveallwater.com
Definitely could be resin but I wanted to check with you and see if the unit is regenerating when called for. Northstar is most likely a metered unit but 13 yrs old could be a day timered system. If the meter is not metering your water, the unit may never come on and that could also be a problem. You should be able to set the unit to run an "extra regeneration" from the button on the front display. Since you do have good brine draw you should see the salt being consumed over a period of time also.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks