Northern Michigan UNheated Cottage - Freeze Risk for WHIRLPOOL TUB??

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Renovating our northern Michigan cottage bathroom. I wish to install a whirlpool tub. Noted that the pricier units boast 100% draining (pipes and motor). But more reasonably priced units which I prefer, e.g. Sterling Plumbing (Kohler's Economical brand), do not state this draining feature.

I will blow out the copper lines, but am wondering if water becomes residually trapped in these other tubs making them a poor choice. Any thoughts or experience on this. Very cold climate in winter. Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Will definitely freeze and be damaged. You can fill it with anti-freeze and run it for a few minutes prior to draining and shutting the place down for the winter. If you plan to use the place in the cold season, it would be a PITA and something I would avoid altogether.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Consider an air tub instead. These typicall blow-dry themselves after use, don't limit what you can use in them (oils, scents, bubbles, etc.) and, if you get a good one, are quite relaxing. They do not allow you to pinpoint the jet to a specific area, though. And, especially if you have visitors, won't be damaged if someone accidently turns the motor on without it being full of water. They are much easier to keep sanitary, a whirlpool should get monthly cleaning of the internal piping with some fairly caustic chemicals which probably wouldn't help a septic system (which you'd probably have in a cabin).

You'd still have to protect the trap, but that's easily accessed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks