North Star Watersoftener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by zackbaby, Apr 23, 2014.

1. zackbaby

zackbaby New Member

My brother-n-law bought it new back in 1994 and never had it hooked up because the contractor took the money and ran. So I went up and hooked it up for him this year. It goes through the process of regenerating but it isn't using any salt at all. Could it be possible that the resin is hard as a rock from setting for so many years? Should it be replaced or what? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks zack
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The chances of the resin being bad is slim to none. If it is not using salt, it could be in the venturi assembly. The unit should be checked to insure it is filling and drawing brine.
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Does the water level rise for each regen attempt until the safety float level is reached? If so, that might suggest a leak in the hose that is small enough to pass air but is not big enough to be noticed for water.

I would remove enough salt until you can see some water in the brine tank.

Of course mialynette2003's idea of a clog explains things and his is probably right.
    http://www.northstarconditioning.com/technical-support/owners-manuals/ may have some info for you. You might also post a picture of the controller for your softener; somebody might recognize it.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

If the resin was allowed to dry out over those years, it probably is no good but... not using salt is the problem right now.
  5. zackbaby

zackbaby New Member

Thank you guys for all the replies. I live about 400 miles away from him. I'll be planning a trip up there soon and I'll post back with my findings. Thank you guys, zack
  6. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

It should not be hard to fix, It is a Fleck 5600 valve, I do believe.

Make sure it is not in bypass. lol

Good Luck.
  7. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

NorthStar is made by EcoWater. It is a Sears/Lowes/Home Depot style valve. I believe you are referring the a STAR Water Softener. Those are the Fleck 5600.
  8. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

Yes, You are correct. The Star ones were sold at Builder Square and maybe others with the 5600. I think Sears sold some also.

My mistake.

Not really much to repair on any of them, If all the parts are good.

Some of them never really worked good, But they looked good, and the wife was happy.