North Star Watersoftener

Users who are viewing this thread

zackbaby

Reaction score
My brother-n-law bought it new back in 1994 and never had it hooked up because the contractor took the money and ran. So I went up and hooked it up for him this year. It goes through the process of regenerating but it isn't using any salt at all. Could it be possible that the resin is hard as a rock from setting for so many years? Should it be replaced or what? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks zack

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The chances of the resin being bad is slim to none. If it is not using salt, it could be in the venturi assembly. The unit should be checked to insure it is filling and drawing brine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the water level rise for each regen attempt until the safety float level is reached? If so, that might suggest a leak in the hose that is small enough to pass air but is not big enough to be noticed for water.

I would remove enough salt until you can see some water in the brine tank.

Of course mialynette2003's idea of a clog explains things and his is probably right.
http://www.northstarconditioning.com/technical-support/owners-manuals/ may have some info for you. You might also post a picture of the controller for your softener; somebody might recognize it.

zackbaby

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the replies. I live about 400 miles away from him. I'll be planning a trip up there soon and I'll post back with my findings. Thank you guys, zack

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It should not be hard to fix, It is a Fleck 5600 valve, I do believe.

Make sure it is not in bypass. lol

Good Luck.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
NorthStar is made by EcoWater. It is a Sears/Lowes/Home Depot style valve. I believe you are referring the a STAR Water Softener. Those are the Fleck 5600.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
NorthStar is made by EcoWater. It is a Sears/Lowes/Home Depot style valve. I believe you are referring the a STAR Water Softener. Those are the Fleck 5600.

Yes, You are correct. The Star ones were sold at Builder Square and maybe others with the 5600. I think Sears sold some also.

My mistake.

Not really much to repair on any of them, If all the parts are good.

Some of them never really worked good, But they looked good, and the wife was happy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks