Noob question... Shower drain trap?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by pkerr, May 20, 2009.

1. pkerr

pkerr New Member

I know very little about plumbing but from what I have read, our second story shower has a drain trap and the pipe should always have water in it?

I ask this because when I take off the cover for the drain I see water in the pipe about 6 inches below the shower "floor". That is they way it's supposed to work? Water is always in that pipe? It never completely drains out?

Thanks!
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  3. pkerr

pkerr New Member

It's just the vertical part of the pipe.

There's "gunk" on the inside of the pipe above the water. Does that need to be washed or cleaned off?
    Thanks again.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Traps come in various materials. Some are pretty chrome pipes that are exposed for all to view, some can be removed by unscrewing parts, some are PVC or ABS plastic that are solvent welded together. Some, like a basement shower, are buried forever. Even your toilet has one built in. But, they all work exactly the same way to form a water seal to prevent sewer gas from entering the house.