Noob question about hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianLH

Reaction score
Our upstairs hot water heater (Rheem 81sv40D, fwiw) sprung a leak. We turned off the power and water while we wait 5 days for the insurance company to send someone out to look at it. Of course, it's still leaking (from the bottom) and causing water damage below.

Noob question: Does only water to be heated go through the hot water heater or does all of it? The reason I ask is that I want to drain the unit to stop the water leak, but do we open hot water taps or both?

Reach4

Reaction score
Only water to be heated goes through the water heater. Usually there is a valve that you can close at the input to the water heater.

BrianLH

Reaction score
Yep, I closed that valve and drained the tank using the tap at the bottom of the tank. I was just curious if both temps travel through the tank. Thanks for the info!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have to wait days for the repair, I would take the water heater out of the loop, but installing a flex between the hot and cold.
Right now, anytime someone opens a faucet that mixes, you can get water from the hot side, which puts water back into your tank, even if the cold supply is shut off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks