Noob help - identify this fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by twistdpair, Dec 13, 2010.

1. twistdpair

twistdpair New Member

Pic 1
    Pic 2

I'm trying to hook up a new dishwasher, and I need some kind of adapter for this. Like the half-wit I am sometimes, I had the old dishwasher removed with the necessary fitting still on there...

I am pretty sure it connects to a 3/8 OD adapter of some kind, so I went out and picked one up. The problem is that the pipe has some brass coming out through the center and I cannot find anything that fits over it.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks to all in advance!
    -Corky
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

thing

That is the nut from a compression fitting, but since we have NOTHING to gauge its size, we cannot tell you what fitting you need.
  3. twistdpair

twistdpair New Member

Thanks, HJ.

I just thought maybe there was a name for that particular type of fitting, so I could ask my supply place. Never seen one with that piece that juts out another quarter inch. I suppose I'll take a picture with me to the supply house, and if that doesn't pan out I'll call one of you professionals over :)
  4. John in herndon

John in herndon New Member

Those pictures look suspiciously like Polybutelene pipe. That stuff is bad news. There was a class action settlement on it a few years ago. I had to repipe my entire townhouse when I bought it 3 years ago. There are contractors in my area who specialize exclusive in doing this. Luckily in my case the seller paid the bill. (it was about $6K)
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ALL compression fittings require that the tubing stick out that much, if they are assembled correctly. IF it is 3/8" o.d. tubing, and IF the dishwasher has a 3/8" fip connection, then you need a 3/8 x 3/8 mip compression adapter elbow. If your dw has a "hose thread" inlet then you need a transition to that also, unless one came with the dw.