Noob advice

Users who are viewing this thread

bo jangles

Reaction score
I have scoured the Internet for some solutions on the best way to reduce the cost of running my electric water heater but now I'm more confused than when I started.
I live in a small mobile home in Maine, mostly just myself. Last year I turned on the water heater when needed. Wait 30 mins, shower, dishes etc. Than shut off. My avg elec Bill was about 50 to 70 dollars per month. This year I left the water heater on. I read it can cost more to heat cold water than to heat the already warm water. My avg Bill so far this year has been over 120 per month. No other changes in appliances or daily electric consumption that I can think of. Seems a bit much for a small water tank.
I would like to replace it with something more efficient of course but with so many options out there I don't know what direction to go. I can use what I have for a holding tank or yank it out all together. Solar seems like a great idea but the up front cost is high and in Maine the winter would be troublesome. Tankless either gas or electric is where I'm leaning but would like to get some advice before I dig into it more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Almost without exception, natural gas is a better choice for water heating. On the surface, tankless seems like a great option, but there are somethings you need to be aware of. First is the temperature of the incoming water. I suspect in Maine it would be quite cold. Second is the power source. Electric tankless heaters require more power than most homes are equipped with so it would cost a lot to run new power lines. Pretty much the same with natural gas. Larger pipes in would be expensive. Third is the need for frequent cleaning and upkeep. Might not be the best alternative. FWIW, I I am not a fan of tankless, so you might want to post a query on the "Tankless" section of the forum to get the other side of the argument.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks