Non-stop motor

Users who are viewing this thread

Slinger56

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for help diagnosing my GE GXSF27E01 softener. Seems I ran out of soft water the other day, when I went to check the softener I saw Err 3 on the display and heard water running through the valve. As I stood there I then heard the sound of the water flow changing, like the valve was rotating through its cycles. Sure enough, when I took the top cover off the motor was turning the cam/gear, but it wasn't stopping at the appropriate steps, i.e. backwash, fill, etc, and just kept turning. The manual said an Err 3 code could be the wiring, the motor, or the control board. The motor turning told me the wiring was good. I checked the switch and it had continuity off and on as I actuated the lever. So am I down to replacing the control board or might there be something else I could check? I have an email out to softenerparts.com to inquire about the board availability and price. Thanks for the help!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for help diagnosing my GE GXSF27E01 softener. Seems I ran out of soft water the other day, when I went to check the softener I saw Err 3 on the display and heard water running through the valve. As I stood there I then heard the sound of the water flow changing, like the valve was rotating through its cycles. Sure enough, when I took the top cover off the motor was turning the cam/gear, but it wasn't stopping at the appropriate steps, i.e. backwash, fill, etc, and just kept turning. The manual said an Err 3 code could be the wiring, the motor, or the control board. The motor turning told me the wiring was good. I checked the switch and it had continuity off and on as I actuated the lever. So am I down to replacing the control board or might there be something else I could check? I have an email out to softenerparts.com to inquire about the board availability and price. Thanks for the help!

Did you reset the controller, Killing the transformer power for a bit ?

It looks like Sears has parts for that unit, But set down while looking at the prices.

How old is it ?

Good Luck.

Slinger56

Reaction score
Did you reset the controller, Killing the transformer power for a bit ?

It looks like Sears has parts for that unit, But set down while looking at the prices.

How old is it ?

Good Luck.
Thanks for the inputs Don. I did disconnect the transformer for several minutes as I checked the motor separately by applying 24VAC directly. Unfortunately it kept running again once I reconnected it. Next step I will check the control board for solder joints and the connections and wiring between it and the motor and anything else obvious. The softener is over 12 years old and was installed in March of '03.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely it is the micro switch or the micro switch wiring. Push and hold the select button until it changes display. You are looking for a screen with 3 0's. It may show 2 dashes or a micro switch. To check the wiring. use a paper clip to connect both leads. You should notice a change on the screen. Either the dashes will change or the micro switch symbol with show open or closed.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs Don. I did disconnect the transformer for several minutes as I checked the motor separately by applying 24VAC directly. Unfortunately it kept running again once I reconnected it. Next step I will check the control board for solder joints and the connections and wiring between it and the motor and anything else obvious. The softener is over 12 years old and was installed in March of '03.

If the micro switch and wiring check out, can you take a picture of the component side of the PC controller board ?

There must be a motor driver on it that controls the power to the motor. Looks like that controller design is top secret and very expensive. Could just be a $2 part that is bad.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks