Non-Ceramic Shower Valve for Steel Pipe???

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by steveg91, Apr 25, 2009.

1. steveg91

steveg91 New Member

Hi folks, When installing a new shower valve in a house that has all steel pipe plumbing I've heard one is not supposed to use the type with Ceramic Disc as the rust and crud-etc. from the steel pipes will eventually clog up the Valve. If aso what type/types of Valve is one supposed to use? Is this true and if I'm not asking this right please feel free to educate me.

Thanks so much,
    Steve
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vzlves

The type of piping means nothing. In fact, you would have a difficult time finding an approved shower valve which does not have ceramic seats at this time. The only way galvanized piping could damage it would be if a chunk of rust got wedged in the opening and then the ceramic discs were shattered when the valve closed, but that would damage ANY faucet you used.