Non abrasive cleaning products

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm doing two new bathrooms.
I'm interested in preserving the finish of glazing as long as possible for sinks and toilets.
Brush and cleaning agents that wont dull or harm finish?
Is vinegar OK? Is it safe for chrome too?

I use a non abrasive sponge and soft scrub on my new stainless steel sink.

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it. Soft scrub is a lite abrasive. Don't use it if you don't have to. Try a nylon brush.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There's a company out of San Francisco called The Clean Team. They have a great catalog, and a number of non-abrasive but very effective products. I use their "Red Juice" on everything in site.

They also put out some good books on general housecleaning -- they run a cleaning service, and have done ergonometric studies to see how to work most efficiently. They can clean an entire apartment, thoroughly, in 45 minutes!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have two lavatory countertops with molded in sinks that are polished solid material that simulates marble. The problem is to get soap scum and makeup off the bowl and counter.

A small amount of Coleman stove fuel on a soft cloth does a good job and has no abrasive, and a gallon goes a looooong way. It is the only thing that will remove depilatory wax. Liquid dishwashing soap will also work on the soap scum but it takes longer than the Coleman fuel.

The Coleman fuel is also handy for cleaning up when you need a solvent and is a lot less harsh than gasoline and some stuff that is sold as "mineral spirits".

When I had a small spot that required abrasive to remove a stain, I used toothpaste (not the gel) on a soft cloth.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Steve I ordered their catalog-that red juice sounds great-thank you.
Cass, I had a feeling that soft scrub wasn't all that soft.

Regarding solvent cleaners-I only use one that I get directly from Whirlpool.com It contains one ingredient: Glycolether. Thats it.
Its not available in stores. name: Microwave cleaner.
It strips grime/grease from any plastic or synthetic surface in a flash with one squirt.

Glycolether is in that "gray area" of toxic substances-so I only use it when I need something really strong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gel-Gloss

GA-12.jpg

Gel-Gloss is a good cleaner and polish. http://www.gel-gloss.com/cat/ItemDetail.cfm?cat_num=GA-12 for sinks, basins, countertops, tubs, spas, RV's boats, shower doors, stainless steel and porcelain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks