Non abrasive cleaning products

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Mike50, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I'm doing two new bathrooms.
    I'm interested in preserving the finish of glazing as long as possible for sinks and toilets.
    Brush and cleaning agents that wont dull or harm finish?
    Is vinegar OK? Is it safe for chrome too?

I use a non abrasive sponge and soft scrub on my new stainless steel sink.

Mike
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Sounds like you got it. Soft scrub is a lite abrasive. Don't use it if you don't have to. Try a nylon brush.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

There's a company out of San Francisco called The Clean Team. They have a great catalog, and a number of non-abrasive but very effective products. I use their "Red Juice" on everything in site.

They also put out some good books on general housecleaning -- they run a cleaning service, and have done ergonometric studies to see how to work most efficiently. They can clean an entire apartment, thoroughly, in 45 minutes!
  4. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

I have two lavatory countertops with molded in sinks that are polished solid material that simulates marble. The problem is to get soap scum and makeup off the bowl and counter.

A small amount of Coleman stove fuel on a soft cloth does a good job and has no abrasive, and a gallon goes a looooong way. It is the only thing that will remove depilatory wax. Liquid dishwashing soap will also work on the soap scum but it takes longer than the Coleman fuel.

The Coleman fuel is also handy for cleaning up when you need a solvent and is a lot less harsh than gasoline and some stuff that is sold as "mineral spirits".

When I had a small spot that required abrasive to remove a stain, I used toothpaste (not the gel) on a soft cloth.
  5. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Steve I ordered their catalog-that red juice sounds great-thank you.
    Cass, I had a feeling that soft scrub wasn't all that soft.

Regarding solvent cleaners-I only use one that I get directly from Whirlpool.com It contains one ingredient: Glycolether. Thats it.
    Its not available in stores. name: Microwave cleaner.
    It strips grime/grease from any plastic or synthetic surface in a flash with one squirt.

Glycolether is in that "gray area" of toxic substances-so I only use it when I need something really strong.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

7. DJ2

DJ2 Guest

Dishwashing Soap

The Eljer literature recommended antibacterial dishwashing (not dishwasher) soap.

I give the toilet bowl a squirt after every bm and a quick cleaning with the toilet brush. Been doing this for a few months now with my Toto Drake and it looks like new.

My Toto Drake leave excrement residue after flushing. Bugged me at first but now I use it as a reminder to brush the toilet after avery bm. That way my toilet is freshly cleaned every day.