Noma fan forced wall heater 240v

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevec1234

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 200 amp Westinghouse main panel, I've installed a 60 amp breaker and ran 6/3 wire to a stab lok sub panel, which will power a small suite. I installed a Noma fan forced wall heater 240v from a 20 amp 2 pole breaker and used 12/2 wire to the heaters. When I energized the sub the heater did not work, the lights plugs etc did. I then checked for power at the heater and had 119v at each leg, I then disconnected a baseboard heater 240v in another room and connected the noma heater and it worked. Thinking it could be my wiring connections I disconnected the wires of the double 20 amp in the sub and connected them to a double 20 in the main and it worked. Then I figured that maybe I had the wrong breaker in the sub so I connected the wired to a double 30 in the sub still didn't work. I then checked for voltage at the legs coming into the sub and found I had 119v there. So is this the wrong sub panel for 240v or what I'm stumped, would appreciate any help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It sounds like both of your feeds are coming off the same buss bar instead of one from each leg.
I have not seen your panels, so will refrain from saying anything more.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
119 volts is well within the limits and should not be a problem. check out everything at the heater connection to ensure a good connection

Also it is a good idea to use a solenoid or analog voltage tester instead of a digital as first two will test the voltage under a load instead of no load as done with a digital meter

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's a good reading for hot to neutral or ground. What do you get between the hot-hot? If, for some reason, the box and the breaker you have are not designed for each other, both legs could be on the same side, so hot-hot would read zero (or very close), and there'd be no current flow; the two leads must be on opposite poles to get 240vac between them. Normally, the breaker would only fit where it would give you 240vac, often because there's a slot in the back. You might just try it by shifting down one slot.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
After reading Jim’s post I decided to revisit the original post for a closer look.

In your original post you mentioned that you fed the remote panel with 6/3. I am assuming that this is two hots, one neutral, and an equipment grounding conductor.

You also state that you checked the voltages of each leg and again I am assuming this is from both hots to ground or the neutral.

What you didn’t post was the voltage between the two hots. Please do so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks