Noisy water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

stevedok

Reaction score
I have just completed a full master bath renovation which included a new shower, bathtub, and sinks. Once the shower and bath portion of the project was complete, all worked well, but once my sub-contractor finished the sinks, I get a rattling noise in the wall when I turn either the hot or cold water on. I also hear it again once I shut these faucets down. I also noticed that when I turn the bath on (or off) the noise is a bit louder. I have been informed that there is air in the lines, which will clear over time. I also have been told that there is no immediate remedy for this. Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
He's feeding you a line...while an initial amount of air could have been in the lines, it would have been cleared out once you got full flow from the faucet. While that air is clearing the lines, things can get somewhat violent, but that usually only lasts a few seconds, depending on how far things drained out.

Sounds to me like the lines aren't anchored or supported properly.

stevedok

Reaction score
Water Hammer?

Thanks for the feedback. This condition is sounding more and more like a water hammer issue. or a combination of pipes not tied down properly. If I turn the faucets on or off very slowly, there is no noise. If its the pipes, going back in would be a hugh problem. How about trying something like the "mini-rester" on either the hot or cold to see if the sound dampens?

mini-rester-in-line.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They may help, but won't likely solve the whole problem. The pipes will still move, but maybe not as much. This can lead to it eventually wearing holes in the pipe...not something you want inside of your walls. It depends on what it is rubbing against or hitting. Also, the constant movement of the pipes put a lot of stress on the fittings. Also not a good thing.

This does not show a good level of professionalism on the part of the plumber...the pipes are SUPPOSED to be anchored. If you can identify where the problem(s) is (are), then maybe the best thing is to bite the bullet and tear up some wall and fix it. I'd be looking to the plumber to either do it and pick up the cost or have it fixed and try to recover from substandard work, but then again, I don't do this much and that is an unprofessional opinion.

I'd try to have a discussion with the plumber. If he isn't cooperative, maybe talk to the local inspector. Was this job permitted and inspected?

Hopefully, one of the pros will offer their opinion...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks