Noisy water pipe after flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

rgibson66

Reaction score
after I flush my toilet and it begins to refill there is a loud noise coming from the pipe below the cutoff valve to the toilet. what is causing it and how do i fix it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check your water pressure. You can buy a gauge that will screw onto a hose bib or with adapters, to other places. Only costs about $10. If the pressure is high, things tend to be noisier.

Some toilet fill valves are noisier than others, especially when they shut off. Not so common when starting.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Is the shut off valve open all the way?
Sometimes if the valve is not fully open, the water will make lots of noise going through the valve.
Just a thought.

Travis

rgibson66

Reaction score
I tried turning it off then on again and the noise obviously stops when its turned off, but it does seem to be very slow. maybe the valve is faulty?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is a multi-turn valve, you might consider replacing it with a 1/4-turn shutoff. WHen the washer gets old or loose, it can vibrate with water flow. That doesn't happen with a 1/4-turn ball valve. If you go that route, replace the supply hose as well. It could also be the fill valve. Some types will make a bunch of noise when the seal gets old as they start to close near the end of the refill.

David B

Reaction score
I know this is an older post. But just replaced my bad flushing toilet. Lived with it too long, but the thing that got me going was about a month ago after the flush the refill was very noisy and slow. Could hear it filling throughout the whole hose. Replaced the whole fill valve assembly and no help. Didn't get around to checking anything else until put the new toilet in.
Found a piece of solder or something at the inlet of the supply line.

Blazer45

Reaction score
I also experience that kind of problem a noisy pipes and a contact a plumbing service and they check and they found out that it was a faulty circulator that causes the noise. Maybe this can help:

Possible Causes

* Faulty circulator
* Water trapped in return lines

Possible Repairs

* Check the circulator. There is a spring loaded coupling that connects the pump to the motor. When it breaks after the pump jams, the coupling will make a loud noise as the motor runs.
* Check that the pitch of the return lines slope back toward the boiler. Adjust pitch with new pipe hangers if necessary.
* Adjust pitch of radiator with a shim so that it slopes back toward the return pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks