Noisy Valves on Culligan Mark 57 water softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by jjay, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jjay

jjay New Member

Hi there,
    This morining while showering I became aware of a noise in the plumbing. On checking I find it is coming from the valves feeding the water softener. With no water running there is no noise but as soon as I turn on a tap there is a fairly loud vibration type noise. If I push the "Bypass" to cut off the flow of water to the control, the noise stops immediately and then resumes as soon as I return the bypass valve to its normal position. The noise seems to be coming from the two valves right behind the control box.
    Just wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem.
    Note: the regeneration cycle seems to be set correctly and it is not "regenerating" when this is happening. I kind of sounds like it sometimes does during regeneration, but of course when that is happening there is no water running. Conversely this noise is only when there is water running.
    Looks like those valves are straight forward to service ...4 screws atop each one. Wondering if they need new seals or something.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    jjay
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Biggest challenge is parts, I am not even sure if culligan has the parts any more for the 57.
    It could be that one or both of the stems that are within the valve that work the diaphrams or seals has broke with age..
  3. jjay

jjay New Member

Thanks for the reply Akpsdvan ...and from Alaska yet. Love to get up there some day ..with a good camera!

I've also noticed that I have more water pressure from taps that are bypassing the softener than from those on lines coming off it. Would that indicate a stem problem?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

If there is water going to the drain from the control valve then there is an internal leak with in the valve, could be a seal is bad or that some other part within the valve body is bad.. I have a Mark 5 that was installed believe it or not 2/1969 but taken out of service some time in the mid 70's and has been setting in the corner of the basement of a customer... so I have no idea as to what does or does not work..
    I have yet to find any kind of a parts list for the mark 5,59 or any of the number that they have used for valves like what we are talking about.
    Some how I don't think that there are parts out there other than used ones from a system that was taken out of service or never used and is now on the market..
    It is possible that the media if it is old enough could be packed... or so built up that it is hard for the water to pass through, some thing that happens with city water because of the chlorine in the water.

drop a pm with an email if you would like some of the photos that I have taken with the digital camera.. slides and prints have yet to make it to my computer...