Noisy heat pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

sirpake

Reaction score
Plumbed 2nd floor heat lines. When furnace kicks in the pipes "tick" and "creak". Is it do to air in the lines or is there another reason? Should I bleed the line? :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note I'm not a pro. I assume that this is a hot water system. Many creaks and pops are the pipe rubbing on things - the holes through walls and floors need to be done with room for the normal expansion of the metal piping. Same is true of the radiators as well. Air usually doesn't creak and pop, although it does expand much more than the water does, and should be eliminated. WHen filled, there is always some disolved air in the water. Eventually, it often separates. The goal should be to elinimate all air in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks