Noisy Blower on Bradford White Water Heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ksgate88, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ksgate88

ksgate88 New Member

The TTW1 blower assembly on my 11-year old 40-gallon Bradford White water heater has become somewhat noisy over the last few weeks. Does anyone know what may be the cause?

Also, like most water heater owners, I have yet to drain any water from the tank. Should I expect water to come gushing out when I remove the drain cap, or is this something that I can control?

--ksgate88
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

bearing going? this is a direct vent heater?
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

jadnashua is most likely right, a bearing.
  4. ksgate88

ksgate88 New Member

How can I tell if it's a direct vent heater? Here's a link that might help answer your question:

Also, I've noticed that when the blower is running, I get minor electrical surges in my house...only lasting about 1/2 second...but, I'll get surge lines across my TV, or my lights might flicker. Does this still sound like a bearing problem? If so, what can I do?

-ksgate88

p.s. Thanks for responding.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

www.bradfordwhite.com :D Yes, it is a direct vent (fan assisted vent).

If you have the user's manual, check it out. It appears that they sell the blower assembly as a complete unit. At the age of the unit, it may or may not be cost effective to replace that part, usually a hwh is on borrowed time at that age. A call to them should get you the price. If you feel comfortable removing and replacing, then it's just the price of the part and your time, but the cost to have someone do it, to me anyways, at the age of your unit, would likely push to replace it with a whole new tank. It appears you would need some sealant for the vent pipe - make sure you get that as well and check it for leaks - you don't want it pushing exhaust fumes into your house instead of outside!
  6. brad white

I agree with the last post....

if it is 10 + years old, you have gotten your moneys worth.

Most supply houses in our area are only required to keep
    power vent parts
    in stock to make repairs on anything up to 7 years old...

at least this is with Rheem power vents...

just get a new water heater and dont put any money into
    that one.. also for just a little ore oeny you can upgrade to a
    50 gallon

enough pontificateing for now.
  7. ksgate88

ksgate88 New Member

Thanks for the advice folks. Getting a new one is probably best.

--ksgate88

p.s. Sorry I forgot to include the Bradford link. I always do that. :D