Noisy Blower on Bradford White Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

ksgate88

Reaction score
The TTW1 blower assembly on my 11-year old 40-gallon Bradford White water heater has become somewhat noisy over the last few weeks. Does anyone know what may be the cause?

Also, like most water heater owners, I have yet to drain any water from the tank. Should I expect water to come gushing out when I remove the drain cap, or is this something that I can control?

--ksgate88

ksgate88

Reaction score
How can I tell if it's a direct vent heater? Here's a link that might help answer your question:

Also, I've noticed that when the blower is running, I get minor electrical surges in my house...only lasting about 1/2 second...but, I'll get surge lines across my TV, or my lights might flicker. Does this still sound like a bearing problem? If so, what can I do?

-ksgate88

p.s. Thanks for responding.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
www.bradfordwhite.com :D Yes, it is a direct vent (fan assisted vent).

If you have the user's manual, check it out. It appears that they sell the blower assembly as a complete unit. At the age of the unit, it may or may not be cost effective to replace that part, usually a hwh is on borrowed time at that age. A call to them should get you the price. If you feel comfortable removing and replacing, then it's just the price of the part and your time, but the cost to have someone do it, to me anyways, at the age of your unit, would likely push to replace it with a whole new tank. It appears you would need some sealant for the vent pipe - make sure you get that as well and check it for leaks - you don't want it pushing exhaust fumes into your house instead of outside!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
brad white

I agree with the last post....

if it is 10 + years old, you have gotten your moneys worth.

Most supply houses in our area are only required to keep
power vent parts
in stock to make repairs on anything up to 7 years old...

at least this is with Rheem power vents...

just get a new water heater and dont put any money into
that one.. also for just a little ore oeny you can upgrade to a
50 gallon

enough pontificateing for now.

ksgate88

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice folks. Getting a new one is probably best.

--ksgate88

p.s. Sorry I forgot to include the Bradford link. I always do that. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks