Noise in wall behind bathtub...

Users who are viewing this thread

grioghair

Reaction score
We are getting a noise behind the bathtub taps. We have recently had real cold weather (-17 degrees), and the noise became apparent then. It doesn't sound like running water to me - although my wife disagrees. To me it sounds more like water pressure of some sort. There doesn't appear to be any water leaking anywhere - the mains taps are in a bedroom cupboard...there is no leaking water in there. The noise is there whether the mains are on or off - we have tried it both ways.

Also, the water meter appears to have stopped regulating the water flow.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With all taps off in the house, look at the water meter, note the reading, then wait an hour or so to see if it moves. You may have a small leak.

The water meter only measures the flow, it does not other function. Not sure what you mean about 'stopped regulating the flow'. There may be a valve near the water meter, and depending on the type and its status, it may no longer turn the water off. This can be a pain, and that valve may need to be replaced. Depending on its location, and how things were plumbed, you may need to get the utility to shut your water off at the street to effect a repair.

Keep in mind that when you shut the water off, the system is still under pressure until you open a valve to relieve it. There still could be a small leak.

Do you get flow from all of your faucets? Did any of them stop during the cold snap? If they did stop, it's likely things froze. That often will cause a leak when the ice melts.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
When it gets cold mice and similar critters look for a warm place. Sometimes they will go in holes around pipes and make a nest. You may need to seal those areas up with metal flashing. Moth balls may discourage them.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It could be expansion sounds from a vent pipe or drain pipe pressing against a tight hole. Hard to tell. I did a poor job of drilling a 2" vent line hole and listen to clicking sounds for 2 years before I busted open the wall and opened up the hole for the vent line.

Do you access to a thermal camera. You might rent one to put the worst case scenario possibility to bed.

Look for images like this....

thermal-image-2.jpg

Shower Leak Australia: Photo Source - Page

This picture shows leaking and water concentration between the sheets of the backer board. Most likely 3'x5' cement board shown. You might need to look below your room for a leak if it is inside rthe wall.

Maybe an image like this will help you find the problem quickly

6a00e550bbaeb388340148c7b6b6f5970c-400wi

Ceiling Leak Detected: Photo Source - Page

grioghair

Reaction score
It turns out it was a leaking pipe outside - underground. We have got a company coming out on monday to repair it. $2700. At the moment we have got water seeping out above ground. The local utility company said we are losing about a gallon a minute. We are getting it fixed soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks