noise in shower head

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by blove1344, Jan 17, 2013.

1. blove1344

blove1344 New Member

My newely installed tub/shower has a squealling noise when the shower is turned on.
    It is a Moen valve and shower head and there is a loud squealling noise usually after
    the water has been on awhile. Then goes away and comes back later. It almost always
    makes this noise when you are shutting off the water. I changed shower heads but that
    did not solve the problem. I'm wondering if it is the valve itself of should I try another
    shower head? Has anyone else had this problem?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Squealing noise can propagate through the piping. One of the most common "squealers" is a main pressure regulating valve, located near the main house shut-off valve. You might look for that, and see if it is the source.
  3. blove1344

blove1344 New Member

We are on a well system. I checked the tank pressure and it reads 50psi.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is there a tub/shower with a diverter in the tub spout? Those can be notorious for making some nasty noises. Most can't be repaired...replace it. Try playing with the knob on the diverter on the tub spout to see if you can change the sound if you have one.
  5. blove1344

blove1344 New Member

Thanks Jim,

It is the diverter! I'd never thought of that. I was ready to swap out the valve.
    Thanks again!
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

One of the more reliable designs out there is made by Delta. The ones that have a ring around the spout that you pull DOWN to activate the diverter. They have them in many styles and finishes, but you may need to deal with the fitting to attach it. They do make a bunch of versions, though. You sometimes have to instruct guests on how to activate it, though.
  7. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

"You sometimes have to instruct guests on how to activate it, though. "

LOL ;) I went to visit my buddy in Kentucky and that's what he had to do, lol. I never saw one like that, but I like it though.