Noise From Faulty Pressure Regulator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scout

Reaction score
I have the common problem of noise when water is running. Recently I was outside near the main when my wife was using the hose to water. It seemed to me like the noise was coming from the pressure regulator. It's old and also looks small compared to others I have seen. What do you think, could this be the source of the noise? It makes sense to me that pipes full of water would conduct this noise throughout the house.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Check and see if you have an expansion tank also...if not one needs to be installed also.

It is a small tank normaly found on the cold water pipe over or near your water heater.

Scout

Reaction score
Expansion Tank

Must the tank be near the water heater, or can it be anywhere on the cold water line?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming you have a shutoff valve going into the water heater, it should be after that valve. This is so that if the inlet valve is closed for some reason and the WH runs, it is not isolated and can accept the expanding water. From a practical viewpoint, other than that, it could be anywhere after the PRV.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It also helps when it comes time to replace it so the whole house doesn't have to be drained down to replace it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The tank would not have to be at that location. The tee should tie in there and the tank maybe remotely mounted.
I like to install the tank with the threaded connector on top... You don't get wet when you change out a tank...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks