No water

Users who are viewing this thread

QuailRancher

Reaction score
My neighbor woke up to find she had no water to her house. This is in rural Hawaii, so she is on a catchment tank system. She recently (a few days ago) had a water delivery of 6000 gallons to her 10,000 gallon tank. The tank had about 3000 gallons in it when the delivery was made and there were no problems with water supply to the house until this morning.

The pump setup is very much like an above ground installation for a well. Motor/pump, pressure switch, bladder tank.

The switch looks good, including the contacts, and when I raised the lever on the switch, there was power to the switch and the motor ran for about a second, then shut off. The bladder tank is empty, or at least sounds empty when I tap on it.

It's been thirty years since I had a setup like this, and I have no idea what the problem is. Hoping someone will know.

QuailRancher

Reaction score
Check your voltage, but it sounds like it is tripping the overload in the motor,
Thanks. It occurred to me that the motor might be working against some excessive load, but I couldn't imagine what that might be. There should be no load with the bladder tank empty, but I'm not very familiar with possible bladder failures. I forgot to mention that the pressure gauge remains at zero when the pump comes on.

I'll try to find my electrical meter in my shipping container. I assume you're suspecting low voltage as a possible problem.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Low voltage maybe. At least that is the first thing to check. More than likely a bad starting capacitor and/or the centrifugal switch in the end of the motor. Both are symptoms of too much cycling on and off, which is the most common cause of all pump failures.

QuailRancher

Reaction score
Low voltage maybe. At least that is the first thing to check. More than likely a bad starting capacitor and/or the centrifugal switch in the end of the motor. Both are symptoms of too much cycling on and off, which is the most common cause of all pump failures.
Thanks again. I have no way of knowing how often the pump has been coming on, and neither would my neighbor, as the pump is a distance from the house. At least I now know more than I did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks