No water out of the faucet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by trawlerphil, Apr 25, 2013.

1. trawlerphil

trawlerphil New Member

The fact is I’m not too proud to show my ignorance. I must have changed out a whole bunch of these $20 Lowes faucets over the years in my rental units and boats, but this one has me stumped. It started when the hot water would come out for a microsecond and then stop, even with the faucet wide open. I shut off the water to the faucets under the sink and figured it was the faucet itself. I took the plunger apart, cleaned everything and put it back together, same result, no hot water.

I disconnected the water lines to the faucets, removed the entire faucet assembly and replaced it with a brand new $20 unit, connected everything, turned on the water valves and voila-- same problem with the new faucet!

Logically, this leaves two potential bad-boys, a bad on/off water valve, or a defective faucet unit. I did crack the water valve a bit while it was disconnected and water came out.

Color me stumped! Any thoughts?
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Use a supply hose on the angle stop and flush the line into a bucket. This will prove water is available and flush any debris that might be in the line.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Why didn't you check for water flow from the supply lines BEFORE you replaced the faucet? Or at least blow through the faucet with the valves open to see if it was plugged up? My customers would go ballistic if I started replacing things before I even knew what, or where, the problem REALLY was.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Are you using the Watts Flood Safe connectors?
    They shut off the water if there is too much flow. If so, chuck them and put on standard supplies.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If it's a multi-turn shutoff at the wall, it might be the washer.