No water in house, but pressure in tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

lwerdmann

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post so I hope I can give enough information to figure out this problem.
To start off last night when I went to bed the water was working fine, I used the the bathroom and kitchen. This morning my wife got up and said we have no water. I opened some of the faucets and very little water came out then the water totally stopped and actually sounded like it was draining out of the pipes. I thought maybe we had a problem with our pressure tank, but it's reading 50psi. I drained it down to 30psi and the well pump kicked in and pushed it back up to 50psi just like normal. I went back up and thought OK that should fix it, nope still no water and just a gurgling sound coming from all the faucets. There is no hot or cold water. I've closed and opened all the shut off valves several time making sure they're fully open. I've checked for leaks and find none, also the pressure on the pressure tank stays steady at 50psi.

Some facts about the house:
The house is only 2 years old and we've had no plumbing issues.
We have PEX plumbing throughout the house.
We are on a well and have a 30 gallon pressure tank.
We have a whole house water filter (sediment and carbon).

Thanks in advance for any help, my plumber is a great guy, but if it's something I can fix I'd rather let him have the weekend off.

Thank you
Lonnie Erdmann

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

Obviously something is obstructing the water and it happened quickly. We cannot tell you what the problem is, or where it is because we would have to be there and make our own test, but the most likely culprits are a broken valve or a plugged filter, since either would affect the entire system.

lwerdmann

Reaction score
Thank you very much, I just went down and took a closer look at the valve and it has some water on the handle, but it doesn't look like it's been dripping. I'll try changing it out and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The gauge could be failed and you may have no pressure.

Check the "whole house" filter. Take the cartridge out and see if that solves the problem.

There could be a valve that has had a washer come off and get stuck somewhere.

Go back near the tank and start opening faucets to see if you get any water. There should be a drain near the tank. See if you have good pressure there. Then proceed along the line to check the outlet next nearest the tank and set if it has pressure. et cetera. et cetera. et cetera.

lwerdmann

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the great advise. I actually called my plumber this morning and he told me to go to the basement and walked me through some stuff over the phone. The water line runs next to a fresh air inlet for the house, the insulation fell off of it and cold air blew over the pipes causing them to freeze. I fixed the insulation and put a small heater next to the water lines and everything started flowing about ten minutes later.

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Thanks everybody for the great advise. I actually called my plumber this morning and he told me to go to the basement and walked me through some stuff over the phone. The water line runs next to a fresh air inlet for the house, the insulation fell off of it and cold air blew over the pipes causing them to freeze. I fixed the insulation and put a small heater next to the water lines and everything started flowing about ten minutes later.

Copper or cpvc would have split wide open.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
..... I thought maybe we had a problem with our pressure tank, but it's reading 50psi. I drained it down to 30psi and the well pump kicked in and pushed it back up to 50psi just like normal.

So how did you drain it down to 50?

If you drained water skip the rest.

If you left air out of the tank that was a no no! You must have the correct air pressure with no water in the tank. It is what supplies the power to move water when your pump is off.

So the air pressure has to be 1-2 psi less than the cut-in setting on the pressure switch. I.E. 30/50 psi pressure range, you need 29-28 psi in the tank with no water in it. If when checking the air pressure you get any water vapor or water, the bladder is bad and you need to replace the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks