No water and clicking at Goulds Pump electric connection box

Users who are viewing this thread

champ

Reaction score
I have a clicking noise at Goulds Pump electric connection box. Is the motor trying to kick in and is not coming on or something else. I have pressure in the tank, however no water is getting pumped. It's been dry here for several weeks. Water is only used for outside uses.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Is that box on the water plumbing or the wall? If the plumbing, that is a pressure switch. You'll have to see if there is power to the switch and then out of the switch to the pump. If you have power to and through the switch, and t goes to the pump instead of a 3 wire submersible pump's control box, then there's problably something wrong with the motor or power cable to the pump.

Where is the pump; in the well or is it a jet pump above ground?

If you aren't up to playing around with up to 230 vac electrical stuff, then you'll have to call a pump guy, well driller or plumber that knows pumps and well water systems.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

champ

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

Gary,

The connection box is on the wall above my posi-pressure tank in the basement. Their is no switch on the box. If the box is opened it break the connections. The trip switches on the master panel can turn it on or off. It's always been on... The well is in my front yard and is a 3 wire single phase submersible pump. The electricle wire run from the wall box through the tank controls and out the wall next to the in flow pipe. the clicking sounds like it coming from the wall box. There is no motor in the basement. The pressure tank is always quite. the only noise from the system is a pumping noise when the water is on. the motor is currently not turning on...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I beleive you have a control box for a 3 wire pump and it's bad but... the wiring goes from your power source, circuit breaker or fuse box, to the pressure switch, then to the control box and then to the pump in the well. That box shouldn't click, the pressure switch does though, but if it does, it should only click whe nthe switch does and only to start the pump.

I think you'll have to call in a pump guy, well driller or plumber that can pull the pump. They'll check the electrical stuff and tell you what is wrong if anything and then whether they have to pull the pump.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

champ

Reaction score
Thanks Gary!

Thanks again for your advice. I will touch base with our local pump company and once they make their diagnosis will let you know what they uncover. Your thoughts and time are appreciated! :)

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the motor isn't getting 230 volts because of a broken wire. The relay in the control box will click once each time you put power to it. This means there is 230 volts to at least the relay and start cap. If the motor does not come on then, assume an open winding in the motor or a broken wire.

bob...

champ

Reaction score
Local Pump Company Diagnosis

The local pump company came today and said my well probably went dry for a few days... we have a drought here. The water does run now and there is no clicking. He said my storage tank has a ruptured bladder and that it needs to be replaced. All else looks good with the pump. Suggested I could run it short term without worrying about the tank, however should try and square it away before long. Total cost tank $600 labor $350... with tax about $985. :confused:

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks