No water and blown fuse

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me guys...

Yes, I viewed the spark thru the clear window of the screw-in 20 amp fuse. Don't believe they are delay. They are just regular screw in type fuses...

The ohm reading from the ground to R, Y, and B wires was low. I was expecting an infinite reading but it was about 3 ohms.

I will test the capacitor and see if I can do a diode check...

What type of base does your fuse have, Could you screw a light bulb in it ?

It DOES need to be a time delayed fuse for a motor load. All fuses are not created equal.

Why would you expect a infinite reading, on the motor windings ?

Good Luck

blacky

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me.

Expecting an infinite reading just shows how little I know about this stuff and explains why I'm here for help...

The fuse base is like an old light bulb fixture. The fuses are 20 amp type TL.

blacky

Reaction score
This well is located at the cabin so there may be a delay before I get back to posting...

The control box splits apart into halves. All the readings I took before were on the half that is wired to the pressure switch and down the well to the pump. While I had the control box apart I took readings at the fuse box and found that the fuse doesn't fry now.

So I tested the other half of the control box that has a capacitor and relay(?). The capacitor looked a little rusty and I found that one of the pole screws had rusted clean away. So I need to replace the capacitor.

Does it make sense that this loose lead was shorting to the control box metal case and blowing the fuse and giving me a shock?

DonL

Reaction score
Does it make sense that this loose lead was shorting to the control box metal case and blowing the fuse and giving me a shock?

Not really,

But it would be nice to find where the current is coming from.

Did you have PPE ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No, not if it was properly wired, but then again, who knows who did what and how. The metal case should be grounded and bonded. A properly grounded and bonded case should not have a voltage potential.

Seeing as you lack the fundamentals WRT electricity, you should have a licensed electrician look at it.

DonL

Reaction score
What is meant by a 'bonded' case?

For a good proper install you should have a Ground rod at the well, And it should be connected to your Breaker or fuse panel.

The well is grounded if you have Iron pipe, but plastic not so much.

Having a proper ground at the well can save your pump if you take a near by lightning strike.

The Bonding is there for safety.

Craigpump is correct

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks