No water after turning on the outside valve

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Tony Foran, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Tony Foran

Tony Foran New Member

I tried turning on the sprinkler system this week and it worked for awhile and then shut off. The new air tank was empty.

I thought it must be the well pump, so I had that replaced too. It was 20 years old and did need replacing but I still have

the same problem. Water pressure in the house is fine. Any ideas? Thanks,Tony
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

"Runs for a while then shuts off". Sounds like the well isn't producing enough water.
  3. Tony Foran

Tony Foran New Member

It worked for years with a 3/4 hp pump, then the problem began. Now, I have a new 1 horse Franklin and new tank and it does the same thing. No problem in the house, no matter what is running. Thanks for the help.
  4. valveman

It takes a lot less water for the house. The screen in the well probably needs cleaning or replacing. Coould also have some nozzles out of a few sprinklers or a break in the line, letting out more water than you have.
  5. Tony Foran

Tony Foran New Member

Now it's the same in the house. The switch will kick on at 40 and go to around 50, then as it goes back down, it won't come on again until the water is turned off, then it comes on twice before it reaches 60. Bad switch? It's a 6 month old Square D. And the pump was installed today. One horse Franklin.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. valveman

Lack of water.
  7. Tony Foran

Tony Foran New Member

And that would be caused by? Thanks again for your help. The well man is coming out tomorrow.
  8. valveman

If this is an above ground jet pump, check for a suction leak. If it is a submersible, the screen in your well maybe plugged.
  9. Tony Foran

Tony Foran New Member

What's confusing,it's the same problem with both the new pump and the old. Water is at around 25 feet and the well is down 100.
  10. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Could be a bad switch, all the new pressure switches are crap IMO.

Have your pump guy do a yield test to see how much water your well is making, you maybe over pumping it.

I hope he will make an adjustment on the bill, doesn't seem fair to put in a new pump and have the same problem.
  11. Tony Foran

Tony Foran New Member

It turned out to be a bad pump. It's drawing 26 amps! Brand new 1hp Franklin.

Thanks again for all the help.