No water after turning on the outside valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony Foran

Reaction score
I tried turning on the sprinkler system this week and it worked for awhile and then shut off. The new air tank was empty.

I thought it must be the well pump, so I had that replaced too. It was 20 years old and did need replacing but I still have

the same problem. Water pressure in the house is fine. Any ideas? Thanks,Tony

Tony Foran

Reaction score
"Runs for a while then shuts off". Sounds like the well isn't producing enough water.

It worked for years with a 3/4 hp pump, then the problem began. Now, I have a new 1 horse Franklin and new tank and it does the same thing. No problem in the house, no matter what is running. Thanks for the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It takes a lot less water for the house. The screen in the well probably needs cleaning or replacing. Coould also have some nozzles out of a few sprinklers or a break in the line, letting out more water than you have.

Tony Foran

Reaction score
It takes a lot less water for the house. The screen in the well probably needs cleaning or replacing. Coould also have some nozzles out of a few sprinklers or a break in the line, letting out more water than you have.

Now it's the same in the house. The switch will kick on at 40 and go to around 50, then as it goes back down, it won't come on again until the water is turned off, then it comes on twice before it reaches 60. Bad switch? It's a 6 month old Square D. And the pump was installed today. One horse Franklin.

Last edited:

Tony Foran

Reaction score
If this is an above ground jet pump, check for a suction leak. If it is a submersible, the screen in your well maybe plugged.

What's confusing,it's the same problem with both the new pump and the old. Water is at around 25 feet and the well is down 100.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be a bad switch, all the new pressure switches are crap IMO.

Have your pump guy do a yield test to see how much water your well is making, you maybe over pumping it.

I hope he will make an adjustment on the bill, doesn't seem fair to put in a new pump and have the same problem.

Tony Foran

Reaction score
It turned out to be a bad pump. It's drawing 26 amps! Brand new 1hp Franklin.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks