No vent in kitchen sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

chumbley

Reaction score
Doing a bit of work around the kitchen, and noticed the sink drain has no vent. It flows from the double sinks into a P trap, then into a 90 (making it essentially an S trap), and straight down through the floor and into the main horizontal drain. The main drain is horizontal in the basement, and is on septic.

I have no idea if this was legal in the late 80's in PA, but I doubt it. Then again, the laundry tub and washer are basically the same setup (no vents), but I'm addressing that with a different project. So who knows...

While I don't really have any functional issues with the drain (it drains, it doesn't smell), I'm wondering if I should address the issue while I'm replacing the base cabinets.

Options as I see them are:
1- Leave it the way it is (if it ain't broke...)
2- Replace the 90 with a SanTee and add an AAV (easy way out)
3- Move the drain into the stud bay, with a San Tee, and take a vent up to the attic (2 floors up) and tie in to the vents. There are no other vents nearby, just drain stacks. The sink is, as usual, under a window. If I go this way, I would plan to route the vent under the window, rather than moving the entire DWV to the side, and using a longer trap arm. But I could do either. (both are a lot of work)

Thoughts?

Jeff
IMG_3966.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Had a similar situation at my mother's house...built in the 1950's, I think they allowed them then, since I ran into another upstairs in the house as well. If your local code allows it, I'd consider putting in an AAV. They don't last forever, so keep it where you can replace it fairly easily whenever it finally fails.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless they had a BOCA code, which allowed almost anything, "S" traps have not been "permitted" since the 1920s. Option #3 is best, #2 is acceptable and will work in MOST cases although it is possible for the septic system to cause problems with it in some situations, and #1 should not even be considered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks