no sewage access toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by modity, May 5, 2007.

1. modity

modity New Member

can anyone recommend a non-septic toilet. this will be in an apartment over garage where because of layout I cannot get septic access from it. I will have water, I hope( see my post under well and pump). Someone told me to tyy incinerator toilet, do these really work well? Can anyone recommend brand or other alternative? Thanks
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

What would you do with the waste water from the shower or a sink?

There are composting toilets that evaporate fluids and break solids down into something like potting soil. A web search for "compost toilet" should yield a lot of info.

Incinerator toilets essentially do the same, but they can be expensive to purchase, to fuel and to maintain, and they can generate quite a bit of heat.

If you end up going elsewhere to shower and so on anyway, there are RV-style "suitcase toilets" that can be carried away and dumped in any conventional toilet ... and my wife and I once stayed with a friend where we had nothing more than our own 5-gallon pail lined with a garbage bag and covered with a lid. In a case like that, sawdust is great for reducing odor and slosh, and Cabela's sells a snap-on toilet seat.
    Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. modity

modity New Member

Thanks for the info.
  4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Check local code...
    I know in Phoenix, if it is at all possible (no matter how convenient) to plumb to the existing septic/sewer, it has to be connected and not pumped etc...
    They may not allow an alternative means of plumbing the apt.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

It can be pumped there if necessary.