No sealant at base of toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

pbishopp

Reaction score
I had a toilet installed yesterday by a plumber who did not put any sealant at the base of the toilet where it meets the tile stating we wouldn't want sealant so we can see any leaks.
Is that common?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State, they expect caulking around the bowl base, leaving out a little at the back in case of a leak.
We like to use clear polyseamseal.

In Arizona, because of the ants or bugs or whatever else is crawling up out of the dirt, the seal all the way around.

It's an easy job with a $4.00 tube of caulk, a sponge and some water. It takes no time at all.

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a tiled floor, the flange bolts are unlikely to keep a toilet from moving a little if bumped hard...plus, sealing around the front part helps keep things a lot cleaner from mopping, misses by the little ones or guests, etc.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The majority of toilet installs I have ever seen in this neck of the woods...do not have a tight fit of the closet elbow as is passes through the subfloor. SO even though the flange is bolted down, any leak is quite likely so simpy find its way down, and not out around the base. I feel it is unsanitary to NOT caulk the base, since water and "whatever" will go under there and rot!

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods, caulking is required in a commercial building and optional in private homes. Caulking when required is left open in the back of the toilet to allow for any water to escape.
My advice to this customer is this, If you want it caulked then either call the guy back to do it, or do it yourself, but its not some huge "oopsie" or that this plumber did something horribly wrong. If you explain to the plumber that you cant/wont do it yourself, and that you really would like him to come back and caulk it and you really arent being a difficult PITA, And the plumber did a wonderful job but you just really really want the thing to be caulked (pretty please with sugar on top).... I would think he could swing back by and caulk the thing. I would. Also, you might make the guy some cookies and have a cold coke waiting for him..... :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks