No rough in yet, will 10" Unifit make more space?

Users who are viewing this thread

missdm

Reaction score
We are doing a total bathroom remodel including changing the placement of the toilet. It is a very small bathroom so we would like to have the toilet as compact as possible. We have more or less decided on the Toto Guinevere (thanks to all of the great information here!). So my question is: since we do not have a rough in yet, if we do a 10" rough in instead of the standard 12" and then use the 10" UniFit adapter will we be able to have the toilet 2" further back? I have tried to figure this out on my own but am confused if this is proper use of the UniFit adapter.
Thanks in advance for you help! And any comments on the Guinevere or the Promenade (that's our other top contender) in general would be great too!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A standard rough-in is 12" from the back wall to the center of the drain.
At 12", you will have about 3/4" behind the tank.

Rough in at 12" and use the 12" Unifit that comes with the toilet.

If you use a 10" Unift on a 12" rough, it will push the toilet out 2" more inches from the wall.

If you use a 14" Unifit, it will bury the toilet in the wall.

The 12" comes with the toilet.
If you order a 10" or 14", it will cost more money.
Just install a normal rough, and you will be fine.

missdm

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply! I thought that since we can do whatever rough in we want we could maybe figure out some creative way to create more space in the small bathroom by using the UniFit. But I guess not. So the only way to get more space is to buy a smaller toilet? My plumber said to look for a toilet with a 10" rough in but it seems like that will not make the space that the toilet takes up any smaller.
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a choice DO NOT set the flange at 10"; set it at 12". Using a 10" rough-in is unlikely to give you any extra room in front of the toilet. I suppose it could, but you have very few choices on a toilet when you have a 10" rough-in. At 12", you can use almost literally any toilet.

The beauty of the Toto Unifit, is you can use the same toilet on a 10, 12, or 14" rough-in and have the rear of the toilet exactly the same place. All of the other manufacturers either make a thicker or thinner tank to take up that space, and as a result, make the toilet stick further out into the room most of the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks