No Room For P-Trap on Washer Standpipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DigitalJim, Aug 7, 2009.

1. DigitalJim

DigitalJim New Member

I am moving my washer 12' and installing a new 2" drain. Due to the placement of the washer box, a standard off-the-shelf p-trap won't fit without cutting out a large portion of the stud (vertical of p-trap falls in line with stud).

Is there any reason why a built up p-trap using 90 deg elbows would not be allowed and/or recommended? Also, is there a width limitation on a trap? I would have to extend the width on the bottom of the trap about 3" to pass through the stud.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Why not pass through the stud with the vertical waste and then install the trap?

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Exactly.

Just place the p-trap within the stud space, and use two 45 els up to the box.
  4. DigitalJim

DigitalJim New Member

I'll have to check the clearance, but I believe I can do that.

Thanks!