No pressure to sprinklers

Users who are viewing this thread

JCornell1

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my sprinklers not having enough pressure to make the sprinklers pop up and shoot out far enough. It's a 3/4" in-line system with four zones. We have changed the diaphragm and silenoid and flushed out each line. We don't see any problem with a leak and we have pretty strong pressure to our house. When we open the manual bleed the sprinkers work great but then you have to manually shut them off. We have adjusted the pressure valve on top of the valve and no change. The system has worked okay until recently and now there is just no pressure to make the sprinkers water correctly. Any suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your problem appears to be not lack pressure but volume. Since the sprinklers will work when opened manually, and all zones are acting the same, it leads me to suspect that the problem is in the controller. Before changing controllers, check the settings and the wire connections, especially the ground.

UM_Rugger

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems with my pressure..I have determined the problem but am unsure of a solution. All my zones activate at the same time. Sometimes I can toggle the manual switch and one zone will activate properly while the others remain off but this rarely works through an entire sequence.

This seems to be a valve issue but since I am a newbie to irrigation systems, I want to see if that seems reasonable before replacement????

Speedbump

Reaction score
All my zones activate at the same time.

That is definately a controller problem. It's sending power to all zones at the same time. I'm surprised the controller has the power to operate all four at the same time.

bob...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Speedbump. Either the controller is screwed up or there is a wiring SNAFU. Either problem should be easily fixed. Controllers are cheap and the wiring is elementary. Each valve has a hot wire to the controller, one wire per connector, and the ground wire is common to all stations. I'm wondering is perhaps the ground is connected to a hot terminal. Easy to check. White is ground and colored are hot. Your problem is not lack of pressure, but lack of volume. When all stations are open, you just can supply enough water to all of your sprinklers. That's why you have several stations to operate one at a time. Check the wiring first, then if that's OK, replace the controller.

UM_Rugger

Reaction score
Ah, I have the pressure but not the volume.
Thanks for the responses, I will check the wiring when I get home.

My elementary view of my 4-zone system is that my controller tells my valve (via wire) which zone to direct water into from the main line. I'm imagining a minigun cylinder, where the main valve loads/fires each valve "chamber" each 15 minutes. If the system does work SOMETIMES during normal auto operation and manual activation and feeds all stations at once otherwise, my thoughts were that the valve SOMETIMES "seats" itself properly, allowing all flow into one pipe rather than all 4.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks