No need for fathers

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This website is like the father I never knew.

It gives me all the hints and tips that a dad might pass on.

Like how to solder a joint, or fix a leaky flapper.

So, no need for fathers. We've got Terry Love's Plumbing and Remodel.

Now, will Terence let me borrow his car?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I don't look like a dad, but I became one out of necessity. It is a good thing, I was always pretty good at fixing things, which I learned from my dad, I guess. I can say though I don't make the kind of money my kids' dad did, but we are squeaking by. I am glad you found a place here that feels like home for you. I have found that in other places as well. You paid these people here a huge compliment and that was very very nice. Plus, you can borrow my car but, it never has any gas in it, the tires are scary at times, and if I don't get it inspected soon you might get stopped by the cops. ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Heck Ian,
Not my new one. I'm not going to let the sixteen YO learn on it either, it's way too quick for a kid.
I have to keep telling myself,

"You are not in a hurry."

I just installed a shower door for a friend yesterday, and it's funny that you posted this, I was thinking of the things I learned from my father while I was doing the installation.

Some of the things that wind up in our heads get there bit by bit, handed down from various sources. The thing that triggered it for me was using a bar of soap on the screws while I was attaching the aluminum sides to the tiled wall.
I used to wonder sometimes at the amount of information he had.
Almost daily I think or do something based on things he taught me.
An unusual man.
Dropped out of school at the age of 12
Drove logging trucks before most of us went to high school.
When he went back to school, he was older then most of the other kids.
In high school, was played all the sports including ski jumping off a ramp in Leavenworth WA, they have picture of him with his skis near the cash register.
He worked with dynamite building roads in the mountains,
Later he went to Alaska to do underwater demolition.
Got paid to cut trees,
Worked on a farm,
He went to WSU on a track scholarship.
Played guitar and sang in a band.
Worked in the library,
Was in ROTC, and after the war retired from the Army as a Captain,
Bought a farm after the war,
Sold real estate,
Got his Doctor of Law from the University of Washington,
Was on the Metro Planning Coucil for the Puget Sound Area
Chaired the meetings for the charter and planing of the City of Bellevue buying the city license to incorparate with his own money.
And then a little later becoming Bellevues second mayor
Became a lawyer in a log cabin on Main Street in Bellevue.
Becamce the Eastsides first Judge,
I learned a lot about what was happening around the dinner table concerning law. It was always a lesson in progress.
Created a farm in Eastern Washington later on, with orchards and grapes.
That's where he taught us farming.
He always enjoyed buying and selling land,
And he was always a DIY kind of guy.
He taught me how to write, and a bit of accounting.
He taught me how to fish, build a dock, split wood,
Ditch around my tent in the rain,
Built an outhouse, including the pit, the last one didn't have a roof, made for a nice view at night with all the stars.
How to fire a gun, hauling water from the lake, using boats with outboard motors,
So, are my kids missing out on some of this stuff?
Some stuff is the same, and some stuff new for today's age.
I still ski with them and hike, but now Jamie says I need to find a softball team with guys my own age. You know, old guys.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
There was a day when virtually all dads were DIYers raising DIYers ...

What happened?

I know, right? I still get surprised, at some of the things people are willing to pay me to do for them, because they haven't got the first clue.

There's a noticeable generational difference in my clients - folks over 40-50 yrs old, hire me because they're too busy, or because it's something complicated... folks under 30, because they practically don't know what a screwdriver is.

Seriously. "I bought these shelves at Ikea, can you come assemble it for me?" Um, okay... Sometimes it's hard not to laugh, I have to remind myself that would cost me referrals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks