No Hub Couplings really work?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Geo, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo New Member

I have read here that I can insert a wye in a current 3 inch ABS drain pipe under by basement floor by using two no hub couplings. (one on each side of the WYE with stub pieces) I guess the banded ones are better but I cannot find any banded ones locally, only the fernco ones. Where online can I get a banded one?

Also, after I slip the coupling over the pipe and put my other pipe in place how much of a gap is OK between the pipes before sliding over the no hub? It seems if there was an inch gap then toilet paper and stuff would get hung up in this gap and catch on the gap. Or am I worried too much about a small gap?

Thanks guys!!!
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Try a plumbing supply house for the banded couplings.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Many folks use the derisive term "Fernco" for a rubber coupling with just a small worm clamp on each end. However, Fernco manufactures a wide range of products, including banded no-hub couplings. They are available at plumbing suppliers and box stores.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

coupling

No-Hub® couplings are available at Home Depot and even hardware stores. You only want about 1/4" clearance when the pipe is test fit into the space. That gives the clearance needed for the ridge in the center of the coupling to drop into.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

hj, for what ever reason HD out here does not cary them, only Low*s does.