No hot water to the shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Tyler Wyman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Tyler Wyman

Tyler Wyman New Member

Hello,

I am in the process of moving into a house that has been vacant for over a year. The water seems fine to all of the faucets and to the toilet, which is next to the shower, but the shower only gets scalding hot water and a trickle of cold. There's a picture here of what I'm working with. Any advice as to what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Seems the plumbers have missed your question.

HJ - Terry. You got something for this fellow?
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The subject and the text seem to differ a lot.
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

I think he typed Hot instead of Cold.

I would rip out the cartridge and try an new one. Then I would think - "Hey - I don't know how to do this."

Then I would call my plumber.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I would check for shutoffs first, either inline or integrated behind the escutcheon. Then I would shut off both sides, pull the cartridge, and test the flow by momentarily opening each shutoff with the cartridge out.

Chances are crud got in the anti-scald pressure balance spool or behind a partially closed shutoff. That is all conjecture cuz I've no experience with that brand so don't know if it has integrated shutoffs or balance spool.
    johnfrwhipple likes this.