No hot water in Master Suite ONLY!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Mtinrunner, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Mtinrunner

Mtinrunner New Member

As the title suggests The Master only has lost hot water twice now. The MS has water flow but no hot water. After 2-3 days it comes back on. any ideas? thx
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some shower/tub control valves and even sink single-handle valves can develop a cross-over. This can provide a short-circuit to either hot or cold water...it's usually the hot since it has more restrictions through the water heater - the cold wins and flows through. When this happens, shut off the supply to the sinks or ensure that the control is set to the full-hot or full-cold side (if possible) and see if it clears up. If you find the offending valve, replace the cartridge. This assumes you get flow, but no hot. If the flow shuts off, that's another thing altogether.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Frozen pipes?
    I don't know your weather conditions where you are.
  4. Mtinrunner

Mtinrunner New Member

thanks jadnashua... I was born in Nashua and lived in Hollis. Been in Northern CA Bay area since the 70's hence no frozen pipes. We lost the hot water throughout the house two days ago and ended up being the thermal coupler. Doesn't seem related? but I'll try your suggestion if we lose hot water in the MS again.