No hot water after draining electric water heater

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Carol Brasby Clarkson, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Carol Brasby Clarkson

Carol Brasby Clarkson New Member

I drained and flushed my water heater properly. First I had hot water out of control.....so hot I couldn't touch the faucet. No matter what I set the thermostat on it was over 155. So I put in new thermostats. No difference. So I flushed the tank again in case some debris was causing a problem. Now I have no hot water at all. What the heck?? Now I need new elements? This doesn't make sense to my female mind, and I used to be married to a plumber!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If the tank was drained and the power wasn't turned off at the panel, then it only takes seconds to fry an element.
    If the top element is burned out, there will be no warmed water.
    If only the lower element is burned out, and the top is still working, then you would only be heating the upper portion of the tank. You would have hot water, but not much.

The two thermostats and elements work in turns. First the upper and then the lower. The top of the tank must satisfy the thermostat first before the lower can take it's turn.
  3. Carol Brasby Clarkson

Carol Brasby Clarkson New Member

Terry, this AM I have comfortable water temp.This evening it reads 160 and the taps are spitting and burping and seem to be under high pressure. I have again opened up a tap and ran out alot of water and reset the thermostats to under 100. They were set on 125. I did everything in proper order, and did not turn on the power till the tank was full. I am still baffled and still too poor to hire someone.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

An electric water heater will recover at about 25 gallons an hour.
  5. change both elements.....

if you have not changed the upper thermostat, do that too...

your problems will go away ......very simple, very easy