No heat on 2nd floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmoore

Reaction score
I have a burnham service 2 gas boiler system. I have heat in the basement and main floor but on our second floor the pipes are cold. I went to let air out today and a bit of air came out and then water was cold, cold. I took a look at the boiler and the line that is labeled second floor is only a bit warm and the other pipes to the basement and main floor are hot. We set the thermostat to 90 and the pipe still was not heating from the basement line. I know if it is not hot from the start it will not be hot when it reaches the second floor.

Please help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check the water pressure in the boiler loop, if it's low, it can make it easier for air to get in (and to overheat in the boiler, but it doesn't sound like that is happening). Any little air in the system can create an air lock, and prevent the small circulator pump from being able to push the water up there. Depending on how the radiators or convectors are plumbed, it can sometimes be a real pain to get all of the air out. THen, if there is a zone valve, make sure that the zone valve is actually opening. Most of them have a manual override...try that just in case the valve is staying shut. Sometimes, you need more pressure from the fill connection to push the air out (sort of like after you drain your plumbing lines, then turn the water back on). If you do that, make sure you don't leave the pressure too high..., so opening the fill, and a drain line may help push air out...the pumps work fine with no air in there since the water falling back down, helps to pull the water up in the closed loop, meaning the pump really has very little work to do (and is why they can be so small). But, when there's air in there at the top someplace, the pump is too small to push it all the way up there and push out the air, that's why opening the fill valve can help. Note, you need some flow to make this work, which is why you also need to open a drain valve as well to flush things, otherwise, it's like blowing up a balloon, you'd just compress the air, not eliminate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks